Thursday, May 21, 2009

"My Location" feature on Non GPS-Enabled devices

These days I often use the routing and "Get Directions" of Google Maps on my Window Mobile. And Yes, It works in India too to a great extent. One feature that always surprises me is "My Location" - Auto-detecting my geographic location. Simply because my mobile does no have a GPS receiver.

So how does Google find out my location to a precision of 500 metres (sometimes 5KM when I go for a drive outside the city)? When I used to talk to people about this the unanimous answer was "Google finds it from your mobile signal".
I too was under the assumption that Google Maps, through your handset asks your mobile phone operator the geographical co-ordinates of the tower from where it's catching the signal. Simple huh? But not.

On reading I found out that the Mobile operator does not say anything about the location coordinates of your cell tower or your device. Google does a trick here.
Each mobile coverage cellular area (remember the Hexagon shaped cell) has a number attached to it (Some kind of serial number to uniquely identify that hexagon shaped cell). Google then uses a database that maps this cell number to geographical coordinates.

But how does Google get the coordinates that fall under that cell?

To do that, Google uses other GPS-enabled devices that are active in your cell area. It collects data like geographical location and service cell ID from these anonymous devices. At the end what Google has is an expanding database of service cell ID (Vs) set of coordinates that fall under that cell.

So that's how the "My Location" in a Non-GPS enabled device is a bigger circle and Google says its your location approximated to some specific metres. It also explains why Google does not show it at all at some remote places when I travel on the highway outside the city. Looks like nobody has gone there and activated their GPS reciever and "helped" Google :-D

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey. I have Moto Q Standard CDMA Tata phone. but My Location is not working on my phone. Ph. 09227160174

Joshua Smith said...

It was amazing to read many good advice in this review. To improve the business it's proposed to use it product development to release on IT markets. Software development allows to automate business processes and earn more profits.

car title loans chicago said...

You simply need to give them the title of your auto and you get the chance to keep your auto and utilize it.

Alex daina said...

Does this sound silly and unthinkable? On a few focuses, it is. Since in what manner can a bank confirm your check and your distinguishing proof on the off chance that you are getting the money for the check through the Internet? Moreover, how might you get the money if your check has been confirmed and handled? 25 hours check cashing Chicago